The idea is to have conversations among friends sharing a commitment to truth and honesty. That’s what Plato meant by dialectic: a conversation among friends.
By posting on my blog, you agree to the following:
- You may comment without registering. You can log in with Twitter or Facebook–it’s up to you.
- You may post anonymously. I don’t recommend this but you may do so if you wish. I may change this rule if it is abused.
- You may post follow-up questions. If you have a question, chances are you are not alone. Others are likely thinking similarly. Therefore, I would rather receive your comments on my blog than by e-mail. It is a better use of my time to address everyone at once rather than answer several similar e-mails.
- You may disagree with me. I welcome debate. But disagree respectfully. We are equals in innate human dignity derived from our shared natality (the fact that we were all born into this world) and mortality (the fact that we will all die within a span of roughly 100 years), the true source of our moral and political equality. There is way too much shouting in the public square to tolerate it here.
- I reserve the right to delete your comments. This is my blog. I am not obliged to publish your comments. The First Amendment gives you the right to express your opinions on your blog, not mine. Specifically: I will delete your comments if you post something that is, in my sole opinion, (a) obscene or mean-spirited, (b) off topic, (c) libelous, defamatory, abusive, harassing, threatening, profane, pornographic, offensive, false, misleading, or which otherwise violates or encourages others to violate my sense of decorum and civility or any law, including intellectual property laws; or (d) “spam,” that is, an attempt to advertise, solicit, or otherwise promote goods and services. You may, however, post a link to your site or your most recent post.
- You retain ownership of your comments. I do not own them and I expressly disclaim any and all liability that may result from them. By commenting on my site, you agree that you retain all ownership rights in what you post here and that you will release me from any and all liability that may result from those postings.
- You grant me license to post your comments. This license is worldwide, irrevocable, nonexclusive, and royalty free. You grant me the right to store, use, transmit, display, publish, reproduce, and distribute your comments in any format, including but not limited to a blog, in a book, a video, or presentation.
- If you wish to reproduce any of my blog posts, you agree to limit your selection to an excerpt of the first 150 words, along with a link to my blog.
- I believe this simple comments policy will facilitate interesting conversations with caring, honest, and respectful people.